Wednesday 22 January 2014

Happy Choice Day!

      I often tune into WMUZ 103.5 FM (The Light), a prominent Christian radio station based in Detroit, because it's fun to watch people talk themselves into corners. The Bob Dutko show is especially inflammatory, ignorant, arrogant, and hypocritical.

      Today, the issue is abortion. Apparently, it's the 41st anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision, which I didn't know because I don't track the dates that people were legally given the basic autonomy each human ought to possess as a rule anyway.

      The station is spreading piles of hooey and fear-mongering about infant-murdering and baby-slaughter (their terms), and I don't have the time or the desire to dig too deeply into the issues right now. The point of this post is merely a rebranding. I don't refer to pro-lifers as "pro-lifers," because that's not their position, as I see it. If the pro-lifers want to give people names other than those they have chosen, we can as well. I've adopted a term I heard from Matt Dillahunty, proud Texan atheist, on The Atheist Experience, a favourite program of mine: anti-choice.

      I don't know why anti-choicers nurse their grievance at Roe v. Wade like Southerners do the Civil War, but if they want to bring it up and hammer down their points of view on the issue every year at this time, that's fine. We can rebrand that too. Instead of using the case name, which really does make it sound like the issue might still be up for debate, let's just celebrate human rights.

January 22 shall heretofore be known as...Choice Day! Spread the freethought!

Happy Choice Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment